St. Cuthbert’s Church
The churchyard has been sacred ground for over 1000 years. The Vikings used it for a burial ground in the 9th century. A stone coffin from this period stands inside the church. The old church was demolished in 1763 and re-built by Robert Corney, a local stonemason and joiner, who lived in Coatham.
The church has an austere and dignified exterior, built in a classical style, which was fashionable at that time. It was not altered by the Victorians and so retains its character. This 18th century structure is in reasonable condition and is now a grade I listed building.
There are three bells, two cast by Lester and Pack of the Whitechapel Belfoundry in London in 1763 and the third recast by Taylors of Loughborough in 1901. The Parish Registers date from 1559 and are kept in safe custody at the Teesside Archive in Middlesbrough. The marble font is circa 1740 while the eagle lectern, 1901, is in memory of Queen Victoria. The brass on the floor depicts Robert Coulthirst who died in 1631 at the age of ninety. There is also a magnificent silver dish that was washed ashore at Coatham in 1740.
The ornate gate piers were restored in 1934, and then again in 1994. The skull and cross-bones represent “The Banishment of Evil” from this Holy Place’.
The gate piers, wall, steps and mounting block are all listed Grade II. In the graveyard three graves are listed for there historical importance.
1 Teresa Newcomen
2 John Gaunt, who founded the salmon fishing industry at Coatham.
3 Robert Corney, who built the church in the 18th century.
The oldest gravestone is dated 1699 and many Coathamians are buried here because there was no church at Coatham.
A grey slate memorial tablet commemorates the Bosanquet family who once resided in the “Free School”.
St Cuthberts Church
Sir William Turners Mauseleum
St Cuthbert's Church yard
The Old wood mill
The entrance to East Lodge
Looking at the Museum from the Nursery Office's Nursery
Museum Gardens Wildlife trust garden